Saturday 29 September 2012

Day 5: Between a Rock and a Hard Place


 Because the little cape cod is located on a ridge, the chances that we would hit shale were pretty high. This isn't a good thing because hitting hard rock means renting the jack-hammer-like attachment for the excavator which equals big bucks (about $1000 per day). Since I didn't have any wiggle room in my budget, my thoughts that day were: "Please Don't Hit Rock! Please Don't Hit Rock!"

But first, here is a picture of what a boy in Heaven looks like...kind of like Caleb sitting a few feet away from a "big digger" digging just for him.


When it comes to renovating an old house, there is so much more that can go wrong than building new construction. One thing in particular, that could literally bring the house I just bought crumbling to the ground is the foundation. Old houses usually mean rock foundations. Mine is no exception. To make the foundations stronger, they often built the walls like pyramids with the sills sitting on the top and the wall tapering out at an angle. So, when the excavator was digging the new foundation, the goal was to get as close to the old house as possible without disturbing the old foundation, because I definitely DO NOT have money to fix that!


Good thing our driver has lots of experience!



In the mean time, I continued working on the demolition inside where I finally got my hands on a sledge hammer. So Much Fun! and I only bashed my hand once!



Out comes the kitchen.



One of the joys of living in the country. Caleb and I found a caterpillar half in its cacoon. Oh, the things this boy will learn out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment