Monday 1 October 2012

Day 7: Welcome to "Jeneva"

Day seven was a very exciting day at the little cape cod on the ridge for a few reasons. First and foremost, one of my best friends was in town and she lovingly spent her two vacation days slaving away at my house. Eva planned to come keep me company and "watch the youngings" so I could get some uninterrupted work done, but she ended up swinging a pinch bar most of the time. We had so much fun together!



The day started with me showing off the new door for my mudroom, which I am very proud of because I got in on sale for $200. 


After we carried the new door in, I took Eva into the half-gutted kitchen to show her our progress and there was a little surprise waiting for us...What better way to insulate your home than with feathers (still attached to their owner)? Yum!

 So far: old friends, new doors, and dead birds. Time to get to work! As I bashed this wall in, I was having a conversation with Eva and Tyler (our foundation guy). It went something like this:

Jenny: "I bet carpenters don't fight with their wives very often; they probably get all their aggression out at work."
Tyler: "Ha, ha. I don't think so."
Jenny: "I should be a carpenter. Well, maybe just a demolition girl."
Eva: (in the background) I'm videotaping you...
*Picture me hitting/missing that one skinny board about six or seven time
Jenny: "Don't videotape me right now! I'm going to look weak! Wait until I break something! This is going on my blog."


As we worked, our dumpster pile (notice the non-existent dumpster) grew and grew. I'm a country girl now, so I'm burning anything that'll burn!


It starts like this...


And with a little help from Dad (and his gas), it turns into this!


Things to do: Bring marshmallows!


When we were little girls, Eva and I thought it would be a great idea to cook her parents dinner. We invented our own restaurant and even made menus. We called our restaurant Jeneva and we were actually shocked to learn that there was really a place out there called Geneva. Oh, the things we had yet to experience! I've known Eva for more than twenty years. We went to kindergarten together, lived down the street from eachother, and never once stopped being best friends (even when I killed her caterpillar...maybe that's where Caleb gets it???) Now, our lives are very different. Eva is working on her Ph. D., and I have two children. No matter how much time passes between visits, we always pick up right where we left off. We grew up together; we grew together. I love you, Eva!































A perfect ending to a perfect day: driving practice for my little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment